Sunday, February 13, 2011

boredom

Hello Bloggers!
As you can tell by the title of this post, I'm bored! Which happens most days when I have to work. I have a schedule of 3-9 today at my place of employment. Even though it's only 6 hours, I'd prefer it if I could plan something else to do on a Sunday instead of working. Although, today brings good news for Joseph's parents. They are celebrating their anniversary and there will be family, fun, and cake! Sadly, I have to go to work around the time the festivities begin. It seems like I have to work every time a family event happens. :( So while my fiance and his family are having fun and catching up, I'll be slicing meat and cheese for people who want to buy groceries on a Sunday! YAY! I think grocery stores should be closed on Sundays, or at least the departments of grocery stores. I need to find a new job and pronto. I read an article on Yahoo news about the Georgia government making changes to the lottery funded Hope program. The article basically states that there are too many people enrolling in college which is causing the Hope program to fund more applicants than they can afford. So let me get this straight, the economy is down so people aren't buying as many lottery tickets. On the plus side, people want to improve their lives by attending college but they need money in order to do so. Money that the government can't provide in scholarship or employment form. It's also money that people can't receive to attend college or buy lottery tickets. Wow, I guess in a failing economy, people should avoid higher learning and job search for low paying jobs at places that aren't hiring! In all, working where I do isn't the worst thing that could be happening to me right now. What the government plans to do is raise the GPA and SAT/ACT testing scores of high school students and college students from 3.0 to 3.2-3.5 which could cause problems. As well as, only allow families who make less than 66,000 a year to receive funding which I actually agree on. In addition, they plan on limiting the amount of money towards tuition and lowering the book money from 300 to 150 a semester, again another con in this argument. They want to get rid of the "second chance" rule where students can regain funding once their grades increase and exclude the funding of remedial classes, which can be a valid point. This is a concern to myself due to the fact that I have 3 years or more left of schooling and I might only have a year or less funded by Hope. So I'll be forced to take out more money in student loans than I had planned. :( Looking on the positive side, the new changes to the Hope might not take place until late 2012 to early 2013. Hopefully, I can make good use of the Hope Scholarship while their is still hope left for the economy to rise. Well, I don't really have anything else to add at the moment so I guess I'll log off and attempt to get my fiance off of his PC game, DC Universe, before I leave for work. Until then, Have a Great Day!

No comments: