Saturday, March 7, 2009

college work blues



I'm having some school work related issues. I have six assignments due in the next two weeks. For one class, I have to do a speech and a debate project. For a second class, I have to write a play and take a quiz. For a third class, I have to make up study guide questions and take a test. I know what you are thinking, that's not a lot of work to do in 2 weeks. I know that and I have no problem with the work assignments or the amount of time I have to do them. The problem is that I cannot start working on some of the assignments because my instructors have not revealed the guidelines for them yet. I won't know what to do for an assignment until the deadline for another assignment has come and I have turned in that assignment. It's like as soon as I finish one thing, I can't relax until I get another thing done. Everything seems to be piling up on me and I can't carry all of the work weight at once. Luckily, even though I don't believe in luck but I like the word, I have my speech done so all I have to do is present it. The issue I have with presenting my speech is that I GET SO NERVOUS! It's weird because I'm more comfortable standing in front of a group of people when they are not paying attention to me. As soon as all eyes are on me and I have to deliver a message, I get nervous and my heart rate increases, I sweat in certain areas, I blank out, and I speak so fast that I can't remember what I said when I'm done. :( As for the play, I'm making good progress on it because I have an idea of what I'm going to write so I just need to write it. The issue I have with plays is that I'M NOT VERY CREATIVE! I find it difficult to capture an audience's attention with words because I don't know what interests an audience. I know what I'm interested in but every one is different so I can't base my play on something that only I would want to read. Just like these blogs, for example, I could post whatever I wanted, as long as it was not breaking the terms and agreements of the site, but that does not mean people will want to read it. As for the rest of the assignments, I know I will get them done to the best of my ability and still be able to turn them in on time. My problem is getting work started because I find myself more likely to have questions about the assignment and my ideas once I begin working on an assignment. If it was up to me, I would take a week off of doing other things just so I could sit down and work my way through all the things I would have due in the next two weeks. Then again, I probably wouldn't be able to think about working let alone use my brain to tackle an assignment. To be honest, I could have gotten some of my play done yesterday but I was busy stressing out about my speech. I basically couldn't stop obsessing about one thing so I prevented myself from moving on to another thing. Once I got my thoughts in order, I spent the rest of the day listening to music just to clear my mind. I didn't make much progress yesterday but I'm hoping to turn things around and focus on getting through these next two weeks.

No comments: